I want to support individuals coming together and finding community. My research focuses on understanding and removing limitations on Internet communication. This includes both imposed limitations like network interference, and on creating unrealized communication models. I like thinking about network structure, measurement, and the evolution of the browser platform. I’m interested in pursuing a combination of research, teaching, and software development.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Research Fellow (Postdoc)
PI: Alex Halderman
Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA
B.S., Joint Computer Science & Mathematics; Concentration in Chinese
Graduated with High Distinction, Departmental Honors Computer Science
Advisors: Christopher Stone, Nicholas Pippenger
Beijing University, Beijing, China
Studied abroad through the Pitzer in China program.
Honors and Awards
Google Certificate of Excellence
Operating Systems (ECE 341)
Software Engineering (ECE 323)
Databases (ECE 213)
Data Structures & Program Development in C++
Formal Logic and Computability
Open Measurement of Internet Censorship. IETF-98 MAPRG
The State of Internet Censorship 2016. Chaos Communication Congress
The State of Internet Censorship. Chaos Communication Congress
Understanding Open Proxies. Chaos Communication Camp
Scanning the internet with Node.js. CascadiaFest
Code for Seattle – A local Civic Hacking Movement. Linux Fest Northwest
Experiences with uProxy. RightsCon
Computer Science in the DPRK. Chaos Communication Congress
uProxy: a social proxy for your browser. TA3M NYC
Software Engineer, Google.
- Developed & Deployed code for gmail, Google Contacts, and the Google+ Project.
- Championed the export of Google+ hovercards to other Google properties.
Clinic Project Manager, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA
- Led a four person, cross-disciplinary team in senior year capstone.
- Developed image processing system for mapping the sun’s magnetic field from visible light measurements.
Research Intern, Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China
- Worked on sentiment analysis with the Machine Learning group at Microsoft Research Asia as part of an NSF sponsored REU
- Managed a four-person team of two US and two Chinese students.
Researcher, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA
- Java-based image alignment to support computer vision recognition of hand-drawn sketches.
Google Summer Of Code, Google
- Worked with New Zealand based Silverstripe Content Management System.
Intern, Trumba Corp. Seattle, WA
- Raymond Cheng, Will Scott, Paul Ellenbogen, Jon Howell, Thomas Anderson.
Radiatus: a Shared-Nothing Server-Side Web Architecture. SOCC. 2016.
- Will Scott, Thomas Anderson, Tadayoshi Kohno, Arvind Krishnamurthy.
Satellite: Joint Analysis of CDNs and Network-Level Interference. USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC). 2016. “Best Student Paper”
- Emily McReynolds, Adam Lerner, Will Scott, Franziska Roesner, Tadayoshi Kohno.
Cryptographic Currencies from a Tech-Policy Perspective: Key Policy Issues and Technical Directions. 2nd Workshop on Bitcoin Research (Bitcoin). 2015.
- Ravi Bhoraskar, Dominic Langenegger, Pingyang He, Raymond Cheng, Will Scott, Michael D Ernst.
User scripting on Android using BladeDroid. 5th ACM Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (APSys 2014), 2014.
- Raymond Cheng, Will Scott, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Tom Anderson.
FreeDOM: a new Baseline for the Web. The Eleventh ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks
(HotNets XI), 2012.
- Will Scott, Raymond Cheng, Jinyang Li, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Tom Anderson.
Blocking-Resistant Network Services using Unblock. Working Paper.
(available at http://unblock.cs.washington.edu).
Service & Activities
Protecting all people’s right to privacy.
Represent student interests in university intellectual property policy.
Represent student interests to UW faculty on issues including conduct code and police jurisdiction.
Representative on the University student government.
Help to improve department curriculum at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Served as the student representative to the educational planning committee to provide input on changes in the college curriculum.
Elected student government position funding campus social events. Revised party policy, Instituted training workshops for party hosts.
Three years of college Chinese, with semester in Beijing focusing on intellectual property rights and mathematics. One year of college Korean.
- Background in Networks, Privacy, Web Security, Computer Systems.
- Proficient in HTML, CSS, JS, Go, C/C++, Java, C#, Python, and PHP.